UPLISAA Federal Branch (University of Peshawar Library & Information Science Alumni Association-Federal Branch)
University of Peshawar
The University of Peshawar (UoP) (www.upesh.edu.pk) is a public sector university located in Peshawar, the capital of the Khyber Pukhtunkhwa province of Pakistan. The university was established in October 1950 by Mr. Liaquat Ali Khan, the first Prime Minister of Pakistan as an expansion of Islamia College Peshawar, which was founded in 1913. The University of Peshawar offers educational facilities from nursery to the Ph.D. It operates as a residential campus spread over 1,000 acres (4 km2). The university also has a summer campus at Bara Gali, 25 kilometers from Abbottabad at an altitude of 7,700 ft (2,350 m) above sea level. The university is comprised of six faculties with forty postgraduate departments, four centres, two centres of excellence, four colleges and three high schools. The population of students is about 20,000.
Department of Library and Information Science
The central library of the University of Peshawar started functioning in 1951 and also established the Department of Library and Information Science in the annex of the Central Library in 1962 to fulfill the requirement of trained library professionals in Khyber Pukhtunkwa. It started a postgraduate diploma course, DLS which was later on renamed as B.L.I.Sc. In spite of lack of funds, teaching staff, building, etc., the Master Degree Program in Library and Information Science started in 1983-84. Since its inception, the department has produced more than thousand LIS graduates. Now the Department is located on the 1st floor in the newly constructed building of the Faculty of Arts.
History of UPLISAA Federal Branch
UPLISAA Federal Branch (University of Peshawar Library and Information Science Alumni Association www.uplisaai.org) was founded on June 23, 2013 at Federal Level under the meeting of Library and information science professionals from Khyber Pukhtoonkhwa serving in Islamabad and Rawalpindi. The Main Purpose of this Association was to combine the former Library and Information Sciences (LIS) graduates from the University Of Peshawar (UOP), working in institutions located in Islamabad and Rawalpindi. UPLISAA, Federal Chapter also offers honorary membership to LIS professionals from Khyber Pukhtukhwa province (may be graduated from universities other than UoP.
Vision for UPLISAA Federal Branch
The vision of this Association is (1) to promote the excellence of members of UPLISAA, (2) to promote good will, cooperation and friendship amongst them and (3) to support and assist professional growth, recognition, continuing education and research in the field of Library and Information Science (LIS).
- To provide an environment of interaction among the former graduates of the Department and the current students
- To provide a platform to the former graduates to foster and promote interpersonal relationship among older students of the Department
- To provide an opportunity for the current students to seek guidance from the former graduates on matters of personal interest.
- To put forth efforts to promote the welfare of the alma mater.
- To benefit the current students from the experiences of former graduates with respect to job market, job search and career planning.
- It has arranged 11 success meeting to uplift this association
- Till its inception 34000 peoples visit this website up till now.
- Approximately 100 people visit its website on a daily basis.
- Till its inception 500 members joined this association for viewing the jobs and other activities about the library profession.
- Till its inception it has published 500 hundred jobs on a regular basis for the library professional published in various newspapers in govt and private sectors.
- The most important features of this association to aware the Library professionals in all over Pakistan about new jobs published on its website on a volunteer basis.
- For All library professional please Join us on www.uplisaai.org.
Abid Hussain Assistant Library Officer at National Defence University Islamabad.